Tried going carp fishing today. Really had no idea what I was doing, but gave it a shot. Tried fishing the Toms River down off route 166. I bought some dough bait,but it seemed to come off right after it hit the water!! Any advise on where when and how to fish for carp would be appriciated!!! Also what kinds of other baits that can be used. Thanks......

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I use hot dog chunks soaked in maple syrup for carp and catfish. It works great for me. Give it a try.

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Ok... Im new to carp fishing as well... Just started this past summer. I have learned a ton since then. My fisrt 5 or 6 trips were rough... got skunked every time...OK... there isnt enough room here to get into everything... but here are the basics.... first location...carp are in almost every lake and stream... so I would suggest Cooper River... Newton Creek, Timber Creek, or Woodbury Creek. Second.. BAIT- start with the most basic... sweet corn. Use a size 4 wide gap hook. Leader size a 4 to 6 inches. Tied to a swivel. Heavy sinker... 3oz.. Reason.. when carp suck up bait... the heavy weight hooks them before they can blow it out... NOTE_ use a baitrunner reel or keep you bail open or you will lose your rod/reel. The run is incredible and powerful. Also, bait the area you are fishing in with a mix of oats and creamed corn... There is a device you use called a spomb to cast out the bait in the area you are going to fish in. If you can, bait the area the night before as well as when you are fishing there. Have patience.. they will come... I leave my bait in the water from 30 to 45 mins before I bring it in to check it... there is way more to tell you about equipment, rigs, methods... but this is good to start. Also, if you want... join the new group I created to help myself as well as others. Its called Carping in South Jersey. Carp fishing is becoming more and more popular in the states. It is a true gamefish... catch some, experience the fight....and you will agree..... good luck... - Mike

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Whatever you do don't do this.

I went to Smithville trying to catch some carp and had one of those I wish I didn’t just do that moment. While trying to set up some carp bait on my rig’s hair I stabbed my finger with my baiting needle. I would try to twist the needle and it would twist my flesh with it, looks like the hook on the end of the needle had grabbed some meat. So after thinking for a while I decide that I had to push it threw and cut the end and pull it out. So that’s what I did, but you know what it was worth it. My dad caught at 16.5 # carp an hour after I got the needle out of my finger and I got to take a picture with it. But as a fool I thought I was ok and fished a couple more hour before going home and cleaning it will and covering it up. Of course it got infected and yesterday I had to get a tetanus shot (sore arm) and 90 antibiotic pills(9 a day for 10 days). You know what the crazy thing is, when I had the needle in my arm I was setting there trying to figure out how I would reel up the fish if I got a bite… Laughing

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

You are a true fisherman. Everything else has to wait until later.HAHAHA. Glad you are ok.

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 am

OUCH Exclamation
Sooner or later it happens to all of us. Throw some of those alcohol packets in your tackle box. This way you can clean the wound and hopefully keep it from getting infected.

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 am

njfisherguy

Tried going carp fishing today. Really had no idea what I was doing, but gave it a shot. Tried fishing the Toms River down off route 166. I bought some dough bait,but it seemed to come off right after it hit the water!! Any advise on where when and how to fish for carp would be appriciated!!! Also what kinds of other baits that can be used. Thanks......

My one buddy Mike asked me to come check out the forum. I have a ton of videos on youtube that explain all types of baits and rigs from beginner to advanced. If you have any questions about anything just message me and I would be glad to help out. Brian

http://www.youtube.com/user/bwingy

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome aboard Brian! You have one hella carp in the photo. Is that the largest one you have caught? Your utube vids are also great.
Tight lines

Posted Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm

The new member above.. Brian Wingard, has a wealth of knowledge that he is always willing to help you with.. Trust me, he set me straight and helped me out more than I can tell you. It's because of Brian that I broke my 6 straight times out for carp and getting skunked to catching almost every time I went out... with my personal best of 17.5 pounds.... If you are new to carping or if you never fished for them before... hit him up for advice... Carp are a great gamefish... once you hook into a few and gain knowledge on the species... like me,.... yo will be hooked for good!!!

Posted Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:58 pm

jimbuoy

I use hot dog chunks soaked in maple syrup for carp and catfish. It works great for me. Give it a try.

I know this is old but I just got in from an icy slow carp sesh. i used 4 maple syrup instant oatmeal packs, some van extract and a can of corn. Figured they'd need extra motivation to get moving when it's 28 degrees at sunrise. Nothing. No movement period.

I've got tons of different carp n cat recipes. Cats love Walmart Bar S dogs (12 pack is like $0.89). I think they will debilitate if not kill a human. Like 120 calories a piece, 90 from saturated fat. Plenty of sodium too. The crazy thing…the frig case is almost always empty of them when I go to pick up night fishing supplies. Can't be that many cat fisherman out there. But I digress, cut in chunk, ziplock, garlic powder and salt to toughen em up and they rock.

Now you're telling me if I did the in syrup, I'll catch carp??!!

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:05 am

This is a really tough time of year to catch an species of fish.... metabolism is very low... but they do eat - trick is finding them.... not a lot of movement in the cold water. the suggestions above are always appreciated... never used hot dogs for carp before... but I have heard of plenty of carp fisherman using it... if you want some other ideas....like I suggested before... check out Brian Wingard on you tube....

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 am

mab1212

This is a really tough time of year to catch an species of fish.... metabolism is very low... but they do eat - trick is finding them.... not a lot of movement in the cold water. the suggestions above are always appreciated... never used hot dogs for carp before... but I have heard of plenty of carp fisherman using it... if you want some other ideas....like I suggested before... check out Brian Wingard on you tube....

I know generally where they are and have caught them. I find that if you chum the same spot everyday…whether fishing or not…they'll show up when you're ready. I literally stop at a lake 1.5 mi away, run up to my usual spot and scatter a couple cans of corn. Run back to car and leave. From watching the vids I think I need to use the bolt rig and I'll get on some bigger fish. I've been relying on slack, tip and drag to set hook on a Carolina rig. I think the carp are too wise for that. You just gotta bang em fast with the bolt rig. The other way has caught me tons of big cats but cats aren't wary like carp.

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:09 am

By the way, hair rigging regular sweet corn sucks. I waste too much time trying to get the corn on the line just for it too easily rip off. Anyone know where I can get my hands on good pop-ups? Also has anyone tried Gulp! Corn? I'm sure it more robust but I've heard it doesn't get bites.

For regular corn pop-ups I will put a mini marshmallow on line and then the corn. It works well. Just make sure marshmallow isn't too big or it will completely float your rig on the surface.

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

ssheldon1

Also has anyone tried Gulp! Corn? I'm sure it more robust but I've heard it doesn't get bites. .

I got it at dicks. It's dayglo yellow. Artificial feeling. Funny smelling. No action. But I did try it Saturday night and now getting home. Temps were mild but winds were gusty. The cats weren't even nipping chicken liver.

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:35 am

Look into Corn thing before using it (legally and its affect on the fish) , pretty sure that can have some negative affects on the fish if consumed .. Not a Carp guy , so not sure exactly , but def something to look into ..

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links