25%  [ 1 ]
Spinners
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Flies/Poppers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Trout season opens on April 8th, 2017 at 8:00am.
Time to dust off your gear and get your bait(s) ready.

COMMON BAITS
Salmon eggs
Worms
Mashmellows
Power bait
Corn
Crickets
Mealworms/Grubs
Herring/Minnows
Lures
Spinners
Soft plastics
Flies & Poppers

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Dont get all stoked up over chasing 6 inch fish, and it seems everytime i do go, the weather is so bad as to be seriously uncomfortable to be out there. When it comes to fishing, i just prefer warmer weather. But i do like the fact that it keeps guys away from my bass......LOL

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am

Chief you just never know, my biggest N.J. trout was
a pretty 5 pound brown that I caught in the saddle river
up in Bergen county. They are out there though not all
that common.

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm

If you're looking for huge trout, you have to fish Round Valley Res.
Its known for its big rainbows, browns, lakers and of couse the normal stocked sized trout.

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:22 am

I have seen a lot of pics of great fish that were caught
in Round Valley but I have never had the pleasure of
fishing there.

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 pm

I used to fish there with my father before he moved to north jersey. We always had good luck landing big fish, but we also used a boat. When we fished from shore the fish were smaller, but still a good size. Our collection for RVR were lakers, browns, rainbows, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, eels, catfish, sunnys, snapping turtles & carp. Damm I miss fishing with the old man.

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm

I hear that RVR can get dangerous in bad weather.
Have you ever experienced that?

Posted Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:17 pm

jettydog

Oh Yea !!!!!!!!!! plenty of times, had to beach it once or twice too. Storms come up over the ridge in no time, and you dont get much warning. They have lights on the tower that flash when the wind hits a certain speed, and they mean lake is closed.

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 am

crewchief

jettydog

Oh Yea !!!!!!!!!! plenty of times, had to beach it once or twice too. Storms come up over the ridge in no time, and you dont get much warning. They have lights on the tower that flash when the wind hits a certain speed, and they mean lake is closed.

You guys are both right.
RVR can get a bit nasty with heavy fog, strong winds and good size white caps. I was once scuba diving there years ago and the wind was so strong that it pulled my anchor and was dragging it along the bottom. I have used boats as little as a 12' jon boat to a 17' center console boat and never had any major issues. You just have to have respect for the weather, know your boat's limitations, obey the warning lights and basically don’t be a moron. lol

Posted Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links