Wednesday, June 10, 2015
TROUT in the summertime????
Hello my friends and colleagues.. I am a huge large mouth enthusiast - but that doesnt mean I dont like catching a few foot long-or-more trout in my river endeavors!!

Im new to the trout game and have tried a couple times with flies, however I didnt put enough thought into what species of flies have been hatching, so I know I have to improve on that front..

However I'm looking for some tried and true trout brooks, streams, and or rivers (preferebly in northern to middle NJ) that people have caught some nice trout in the summer!

Any suggestions??? willing to reciprocate with some northern jersey monster bass locations!!

Cheers! JMC_LARGEmouth

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:14 am

Fly fishing, thats something I have not done in a long, long time. Its awesome when you have a fish on! If your using flies, try to match the hatch. Poppers also work fine, along with the old worm and salmon eggs.
I always had good luck in the North & South Branches of the Raritan River, Round Valley Res. and the Musconetcong River.
Good Luck!

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks Jim! I tried the South Branch of the Raritan the other day with a buddy of mine.. absolutely amazing wading through that beautiful water! fished it from about 3-7 and came away with two crappies...... on my way BACK to the car I saw a guy with a nice 13 inch trout that he was surely going to fry up... needless to say I was a bit upset but definitely gave me some hope to go back and try again!! I was using wooly buggers and a few mayfly species I had looked up prior to heading out. I will let you and the blog know how it goes next time im out there!!

Posted Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links