Sorry that this didn't post well, but hopefully you can understand it and use it to resolve your reel issues.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Troubleshooting Reel Problems
Spinning - Spincast - Baitcast Reels
Compliments of Zebco Corporation

SPINNING REELS
PROBLEM POSSIBLE CAUSE SOLUTION
Line tangles when casting. 1. Spool is overfilled with line. Reduce amount of line to 1/8" below spool lip.
2. Line memory. Soak reel spool of line in water prior to use.
3. Oversized line. Remove line and fill spool with line size that is recommended for reel.

Gears rough or reel makes grinding noise on retrieve. 1. Dirt or debris between spool and rotor or in gear system. Clean inside of reel by rinsing thoroughly and lubricate properly.

Drag or spool locked-up at start of day. 1. Drag disc seized to washers due to debris on disc. Loosen drag tension and turn spool until drag discs break free. (Always loosen drag completely after fishing)

Bail will not trip or becomes sluggish. 1. Bail spring is broken. Replace with new spring.
2. Bail wire is bent. Replace with new bail wire assembly.
3. Dirt or debris in bail hinges. Remove bail wire assembly, clean thoroughly and lubricate with reel oil.

Line is twisting. 1. Line was spooled on improperly. Replace line or play out line (without lure) behind boat if in river current to remove line twist. Note: when installing new line, make sure the line from supply spool is feeding off in the same direction the rotor is.
2. Lure spinning on retrieve. When trolling, make sure the lure is not fouled and is running true. When using in-line spinners, attach a ball bearing swivel to line.
3. Bail wire is mis-shaped. Replace bail wire assembly.

Snapshot trigger lever loose or broken. 1. Weak or broken trigger spring. Replace with new trigger spring.
2. Trigger and / or trigger link assembly worn or broken. Replace with new part(s).
3. Trigger assembly E-Clip missing or not in retaining groove. Replace or install E-Clip in retaining groove.
4. Trigger Assembly shaft hole in Rotor housing too loose. Replace Rotor housing.

Snapshot feature will not grab or hold line to cast. 1. Snapshot firing pin broken or missing. Replace Trigger Link assembly.
2. Bail wire bent or mis-shaped. Replace Bail Wire assembly.

Bail closes when casting. 1. Bail Spring weak. Replace with new Bail Spring.

SPINCAST REELS
Reel Will Not Cast Line. 1. Spool empty of line or insufficient line length. Fill spool with new line or replace with new wound spool.
2. Line tangled behind spinnerhead. Remove front cover and spinnerhead assembly to untangle line.
3. Reel spooled with inappropriate line (ie., too heavy or braided line). Remove all damaged line (ie., abrasions, kinks). Remove line and respool with proper size line. Note: Braided line may not work with spincast reels.

Gears appear to be rough when turning handle. 1. Lack of lubrication (oil / grease) on gears, bearings and or crankshaft assembly. Add proper lubrication to moving parts.

Reel will not pick-up line. 1. Spinnerhead spring missing or broken. Replace spinnerhead.
2. Lack of lubrication on spinnerhead pick-up arm. Add lubrication to spinnerhead pick-up arm on bottom side of spinnerhead.
Thumb button will not pop-up after depressing. 1. Thumb button hinge ears broken. Replace thumb button or backcover assembly.
2. Thumb button spring broken or bent. Bend spring back to original position.
Replace thumb button or backcover assembly

Front cover or backcover cracked. 1. Covers overtightened. Replace broken parts.

Anti-Reverse will not work. 1. Anti-Reverse pawl damaged. Replace Anti-Reverse Pawl.
2. Trigger and / or trigger link assembly worn or broken. Remove old grease or dirt / debris and relubricate with new grease.

Drag stuck (will not play out line). 1. Drag washers corroded or have dirt / debris in and around spool and drag washer area. Disassemble spool and drag washers and clean spool, spool boss (on body of reel), and drag washers.

Reel handle hard to crank. 1. Gears, Mainshaft, or Crankshaft have old grease, dirt, or debris present. Disassemble entire reel and clean thoroughly. Re-lube with new grease.

BAITCAST REELS
Spool will not rotate when handle is turned. 1. Star Drag Knob is not properly tightened to engage spool. Tighten Star Drag Knob.

Gears appear to be rough when turning handle. 1. Lack of lubrication to gears and / or bearings. Add light lubrication (oil, not grease) to gears and bearings.
2. Lack of cleaning or maintenance has allowed dirt or debris in gear system Clean inside of reel by disassembling side covers, rinsing, and lubricating with light oil. While reassembling reel side covers, be sure not to force. Handle may have to be slightly turned to insure proper alignment of level wind gear.
3. Gears stripped or damaged. Have an authorized technician replace gear set.

Drag will not hold, slips, or is not smooth. 1. Star Drag knob has been left tightened down after use Replace drag washers. Be sure to always loosen drag after each use to prevent this damage.
2. Oil or grease on drag washers. Replace drag washers. Do not lubricate drag washers.
3. Braided line slipping on spool. Install base of monofilament on spool before adding braided line. Note: To check for this condition, hold thumb on spool rim (securing spool) and see if line can be pulled from spool.

Reel squeaks or makes loud noise when casting. 1. Lack of lubrication (oil) to spool shaft and / or spool shaft ends. Add lubrication (light oil) to spool shaft and spool shaft ends.
2. Spool tension washers are worn. Remove spool tension knob and turn spool tension washer over. Replace if this has already been done once before. Remove spool bearing spring clip (on opposite side of reel), remove bearing, and turn spool tension washer over. Again, replace after both sides become worn.

Line guide (level wind) will not travel when cranking. 1. Line guide pawl and / or worm shaft worn or damaged. Replace line guide pawl and / or worm shaft.
2. Line guide pawl spring bent or missing. Replace line guide spring. Note: Not all models come with a line guide pawl spring, some models have shims to support pawl. Make sure the shims are in place.
3. Line guide carrier screw (pawl cap) is loose. Tighten line guide carrier screw.
Thumb bar / button will not pop up after handle is turned. 1. Thumb bar / button or release slider spring is bent or broken. Replace thumb bar / button spring or release slider spring.
2. Dirt / debris in release slider. Clean and relubricate release slider.

Reel will not cast with ease or for a reasonable distance. 1. Spool tension washers worn. Replace or reverse spool tension washers (see Reel squeaks).
2. Spool tension adjusted too tight. Hold rod at 45 degree angle and depress spool release button / bar. Adjust spool tension knob to the point where the lure is descending very slowly (almost to the point of stopping). This adjustment must be performed each time a lure is changed.
3. Spool shaft needs lubrication. Lubricate spool shaft and spool shaft ends with light oil.
4. Old grease on spool shaft. Clean and relube spool shaft with light oil.
5. Spool shaft bent. Replace spool assembly.

Consistent backlash when casting. 1. Spool tension knob not adjusted properly. Hold rod at 45 degree angle and depress spool release button / bar.
2. Magnetic cast control is not adjusted properly. Adjust spool tension knob to the point where the lure is descending very slowly (almost to the point of stopping). This adjustment must be performed each time a lure is changed.
3. Centrifugal cast control is not adjusted properly. Increase the magnetic cast control to maximum and adjust downward after a few casts until the desired spool braking is obtained
4. Sideplate thumb screws are loose. Note: Disregard for those models that do not have Thumb Screws. Remove spool and "turn on" (see owner's manual) all of the brake weights. Then turn one at a time to the off position until the desired spool braking is obtained.
Tighten sideplate thumb screws. Note: Some modes may have phillips head screws that hold the side cover on.

Gears slip or skip when reeling in fish. 1. Pinion Gear and / or Spool Shaft damaged. Note: This type damage may occur with the following conditions: Replace Pinion Gear and / or Spool Assembly. Note: Use the following tips to avoid conditions that will damage the Pinion Gear and/or Spool Shaft:
2. The spool is engaged before the spool quits turning or before the lure hits the water. Do not engage spool before the lure hits the water.
3. When thumb bar is released in mid-cast while in Flippin Mode. Do not release the Thumb Bar before the cast has finished (while in Flippin Mode).
4. The drag is set too tight while fishing with Super Line. Set Drag to allow for some line slippage on hooksets when fishing with Super Line.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks JB, but none of these problems are the one i am having, mine is definitely in the handle. Its the actual part you hold when winding, the plastic part of the handle, and it is squeaking where it spins on the handle arm, i think it's just worn out, reel is easily 10 years old. Like i said, going to put a drop or two of oil on it and see if thats quiets it down. Luckily i dont use spinning reels that often, definitely prefer my baitcasters, much more accurate. I did learn to loosen the drag when not fishing though, wasnt aware of that, Anyway, thanks for this. cc

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:20 pm

It sounds like it is coming loose and separating from the reel seat and or rod blank. The bonding agent is no longer holding. Thats my guess.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:35 pm

tammyc

Well JB I can’t help you specifically with this issue. I really have no idea about fishing. But I am your biggest followers and really big fan as well. You can take other assignment writing services help from me like I am good with IT.

Tammyc – You are 100% correct in the fact that you can’t help, because you are selfishly using this website to peddle your non-fishing related products.
You state that you are a big fan of mine. Hmmm, the fact is that you are a brand-new member as of Sept. 26th, which is the same date you posted your advertisement. I guess that you are a speed reader. Did you just looked to see who was the highest ranked NJ member, then attempt to flatter and blow smoke?
Why would I want to take your “Assignment Writing Services”, since I’m by no means a professional writer nor wants to be one. FYI: I’m just a NJ angler who shares comments and information with other NJ anglers, who by the way don’t care about spelling, grammar, punctuation or taking writing classes. We do just fine the way we are. If we wanted to take a writing class it wouldn’t be from a chant room advertisement.
How is this for a unique posting?

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:22 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links