Hit the ice on Tuesday, freeking cold out there, had an underwater camera, but couldn't see much and found no fish, and no bites. Got out again yesterday but took the fish finder and was able to look through the ice and find some fish, just couldn't make them bite, finally got this pretty respectable sunny, so now that i have found them, i just need to learn how to make them bite, beats sitting home and watching the tube. All around was enjoyable to get outdoors again, and fun trying to learn a new way to fish. Can't wait to try again.

Posted Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 am

crewchief

Hit the ice on Tuesday, freeking cold out there, had an underwater camera, but couldn't see much and found no fish, and no bites. Got out again yesterday but took the fish finder and was able to look through the ice and find some fish, just couldn't make them bite, finally got this pretty respectable sunny, so now that i have found them, i just need to learn how to make them bite, beats sitting home and watching the tube. All around was enjoyable to get outdoors again, and fun trying to learn a new way to fish. Can't wait to try again.

Is that a home made shed??
Use a 6oz sinker that is hollowed out at the bottom and drop it thu the hole to measure the water depth & bottom type.

On your tip ups try live minnows or herring hooked thu the back. Drop down to the bottom and raise it apx 1 to 2 feet.

On you rod use a very tiny spoon with a mousey as bait.

To keep the hole from freezing up, place a notched bucket lid over the hole and fasten a chemical hand warmer to the underside of the lid.
Good luck! & stay warm!

Posted Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

JB, it's not a shed, just a sled leftover from when the kids were younger. I have been using ice flies with meal worms, thats what the sunny bit on. And i have a few other ice fishing jigs and spoons..
I like the solution to the hole freezing up, have to try that one next week when i get back out there. The fishfinder works great, dont even have to drill a hole, just pour a little water on the ice and it reads right through it.
As for depth and bottom make up, luckily i spend a few days there in the summer ( i think it was 81 to be exact last summer ) so i have a pretty good idea about the bottom.....LOL
Like i said, definitely want to be successful at this, but love it just for the excuse to get outdoors this time of year. Doubt i will get out this Sunday though, forecast is for -6 where i live on Sunday

Posted Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm

That was a great recycle of your kid's sled and looks professional.
I used to fish in shallower water near the vegatation edge would be or near drop offs or struckure. My catch used to be perch, pickerel and a occasional trout.

Posted Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

I have been fishing about 8 feet of water. Unfortunately no pickerel and no perch in this lake, so pretty much just crappies and sunnies. But i'll take it.

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links