Alrighty, when you need to do something to snakeheads other than throwing it into the bush when you kill it... you cook it!

Watch me turn franken fish into some delicious fish cakes that i call Snake cakes!

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 am

I really enjoyed the “snake cake” video and might just have to try out the recipe if I should catch a snakehead.

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 am

thx man! you can actually use any sort of fish to replace the snakehead! crappies, yellow perch.. bass!!!! lol.. pickerels too Razz

you can always buy fish from the market too, i bet bluefish would go well!

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Try smoking bluefish. I use hickory chunks in my smoker and they come out great! That’s the only way I do my blue fish.
Note: I bleed the fish immediately after catching, this helps improve the taste.

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am

bleeding and destroying the brain is best

believe it or not, when you bleed a fish alive, it can also make the meat worse.

The Japanese believe that if a fish is suffering, the body produces extra chemicals and lactic acid will be released into the flesh causing it to be lower quality too. with that said, sever the spinal cord from the head or pith it (stab it in the brain and stir it a few times.. like how we did that in science class to our frogs before we dissect it lol)

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 am

I never heard of that before. I was taught to bleed certain fish and game as soon as possible. I know that when I process bluefish or deer and bleed them, I don't get that oil or gamey taste. Others have told me that after starting bleeding their fish & deer they too no longer have the off favor or gamey taste.

Next time I smoke some bluefish, I'll have to do it both ways and see what happens.

Posted Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:34 pm

you can look up the term Ikejime . should have ton of information online. Some say that only the best in the world who have the god of tongues can taste the difference. some just do it because they feel that it is humane...

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 am

Rawr, thanks for the information on the “Kejime” method of dispatching a fish. You taught me something new and I watched a few videos on it. Instead of the spike to the head I cut the head off the fish and then bleed them. Don’t know if it works the same, but I did notice that the fillets do look better than a fish that weren’t processed this way. I now have to test the way I do it vs the Kejime method. Or since you fish a hell of a lot more than me you maybe can test both methods and make a video on it and I won’t say you stole my idea for the video. Lol
On a side note, when you don’t post videos on the site we feel like your round yellow pillow in the background of your “Snake Cakes” video. lol
Thanks again.

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 am

i had to move some of those damn emoji pillows cuz my camera is constantly trying to focus on the faces, which blurs my face LOL it also makes a focusing noise that the mic picks up which is annoying Razz

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:17 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links