I know winter time fishing is different for a lot of people , for some it's through the ice , others in waters that are 40 to 32 * waters and others water in the 50's . What technique and baits do you guys use .I have been experimenting with suspending stickbaits or jerkbaits as there called . I was using a 7' rod but found an old Abu Garcia rod in my cellar that was 6'6" and it seems to be easier to work the jerk bait for me with that. Also throw some blade baits in deeper water. What's your thing??

Posted Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am

It depends on what fish you are fishing for and what conditions. Ice fishing uses smaller rods and baits. But if you are fishing in waters that is not iced over, you can use the same tackle you use during spring/summer seasons. Only difference is the size of lures and your retrieve. During winter time you have to SLOW your retrieve because the bites you'll get will not be a reaction bite. Use lots of plastic baits like a senko, ned rig, drop shot or texas rig, or even a small jig. Barely move it and let it sit for at least 30 seconds. It should take you 3-4 minutes per cast to retrieve your rig before recasting. Fish are very lethargic/sluggish and wants an easy meal.
Jerkbaits works good too, but you have to retrieve it very slowly too. Let it suspend for 1-2 minutes per jerk.
Hope that helps!

Posted Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:23 am

newest4u

It depends on what fish you are fishing for and what conditions. Ice fishing uses smaller rods and baits. But if you are fishing in waters that is not iced over, you can use the same tackle you use during spring/summer seasons. Only difference is the size of lures and your retrieve. During winter time you have to SLOW your retrieve because the bites you'll get will not be a reaction bite. Use lots of plastic baits like a senko, ned rig, drop shot or texas rig, or even a small jig. Barely move it and let it sit for at least 30 seconds. It should take you 3-4 minutes per cast to retrieve your rig before recasting. Fish are very lethargic/sluggish and wants an easy meal.
Jerkbaits works good too, but you have to retrieve it very slowly too. Let it suspend for 1-2 minutes per jerk.
Hope that helps!

I couldn't have stated it any better than Newest4u did. Right on target.

Posted Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:36 am

I use what’s readily available. For the reason it has to be fresh.
What are they eating at the moment. As for example. The fly
fisherman go by “match the hatch”

I didn’t go to school at the union to become an engineer.
Please don’t insult me.

The other day I picked an apple from the tree. Spit on it
and shined it on my shirt. Then I handed it to my friend.
Hay thanks!

This is private. One to many modifications can lead to confusion
and it becomes dangerous.

How tall are you? How strong are you?

I didn’t expect this to happen.

This accommodates a reducer that does come with the rod.
Movable reel seat.

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:40 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links