I attempted to register online via the NOAA site and got to the point where they wanted $15.00. I called and spoke to a young lady from NOAA, who advised that NJ residents have to pay the $15.00 dollars. I advised that the NJ governor had sign a bill exempting NJ residents from paying the registration fee. She further advised that I was wrong and would have to register and pay for myself and my boat. She provide further information that did not make any sense, but would cost me more money.
I then called NJ fish, game and wildlife. They advised that NJ residents do NOT have to pay the $15.00, but NJ registration program is not up and running, but will be shortly. If you wait for the NJ registry to start there is no fee, but if you register with NOAA you will have to pay the $15.00 for nothing.
I'm waiting. It appears that NOAA is attempting to get whatever money they can from NJ residents. Twisted Evil

Posted Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Questions.....

1.What is the penalty for not registering?

2.Who is going to enforce the federal registry? It should have to be a federal agency, just like the federal immigration law. These would leaving it to the Federal Fish & Game, NOAA, Federal Park Police and the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard is over tasked and will not be checking recreational fishermen. The Park Police are based at around Federal Parks. I have yet to see a NOAA or Federal Fish & Game vessel in all my years of boating and fishing.

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:38 am

The NJ Department of Environmental Protection today launched the state's free web-based saltwater fishing registry.

This registry allows New Jersey to comply with a federal mandate to have a system in place to collect better data from recreational anglers and better manage fishery resources, at the same time exempting anglers from fees and keeping saltwater fishing in New Jersey free.

To view a DEP news release about the New Jersey Saltwater Recreational Registry Program visit http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2011/11_0062.htm on the DEP website; to register with the program visit http://www.saltwaterregistry.nj.gov , also on the DEP site.

Posted Thu May 05, 2011 3:16 pm

jimbradley,

Thanks for the reply back.
I 'm registered and legal.

Good Fishing,
jimbuoy

Posted Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links