Why do baitcasters customarily have the reel arm on the right side ? I have been fishing for a while n can't get why they would put the arm on the right ,most fishermen hold rod right handed n retrieve with the left . I have both in baitcaster right n left ,yet to try ...lol I did try flipping the arm on my spinning gear just to see what it might feel like feeling with my left hand n retrieving right .. It didn't feel right (no pun intended ). I will try the left handed Bcaster next time .. I dont know tho cuz I am pretty comfortable with the Spinning Gear I have now ,so it may be a while unless someone can give me a reason to switch .. F#$K BACKLASH !

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:44 am

Possible reasons:

1. The smaller radius on a baitcaster is easier controlled by your stronger hand which in most cases is your right-hand.

Tip: Go to a tackle shop and ask to see a right and left handed baitcasting reel. Crank both as fast as you can. I've found that because I'm right handed, it was easier to use the right hand crank. I'm sure if I practiced with the left hand crank it would also work.

2. It could just be pure tradition. A carry over from England, where everything is ackbasswards. lol

3. Some reels are now maded for right or left handed anglers and some reels are made so you can change the crank to either side.

So many questions so few answers!

Hope this helped
Wink

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 am

I have a bunch of left handed freshwater baitcasters because it felt more natural being accustomed to spinning gear, and although it feels more comfortable than my RH saltwater baitcasting gear, I still prefer the trouble free nature of spinning gear in fresh or salt. I don't get to fish often enough to get really adept at using the baitcasting stuff regardless of the hand. Maybe someday.

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am

I am ambi dexterous, but am mostly right handed, when I fish I cast with my left and retrieve with my right, Ive seen fisherman cast with their right and switch the rod to the other hand after the cast (pros too). That one second it takes to change hands over leaves a gap of time after the lure hits the water making it ineficient imho. Left handed bait cast reels are most of the time special order, but ive never had an issue getting one. As for back lashes, the quality of the reel is extremely important as is the line. But they are inevitable, When I started with a b/c its was daunting but with a week of practice I nailed the techinique down and picking out the backlashes makes it easier to untangle every time. I used to take a back up rod with me, now Im confident with just one rod (if need be). Now one out of 100 casts might yield a a minor backlash, If you play video games you should have no problem with a bait caster , its all in the thumbs and timing. HAND EYE CORDINATION

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I hear u Jim , I think its pretty backwards too . like Glutt said that second u switch hands u could have lost the fish by then .. I am just the same Mark , just love fishing too comfortable with Spinning to really give it a chance . Idk but I think my left hand is def the retriever . And yea Left handed B/c's are few are far between everyone I see on display or used is Right handed . I think it is tradition or something like that ... I could cast the same way with a L retrieve n not have to switch at all .. hy hasn't that caught on .. I see some here n there but not prodominantly . Glutt I always bring 2 rods now a Crank n a Finesse / Swimbait Rod , cuts tying on every 10 seconds when the bites tough but they both produce so they dont get retied unless it gets chewed or I catch a Good Fish , always safe to retie after any catch . Its the worst feeling when u feel that thump n u Set that hook n all u feel is air no weight .. Nothin U just gave a bass a lip ring ..lol

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:15 pm

most baitcast reels are right hand retrieve that being said its whatever you are comfortable with. im left/left and its whatever. but like gluttony says be ambidextrous you do have the advantage, just for the sake of fatigue, especially in tournament fishing. a lot of guys in the club im in do that, but the pres. who is an awesome fisherman is left/left. so i mean you fish how you fish.

another thing about baitcasters is...there is a learning curve and bird nests are common, with thinner diameter lines, EVERYONE GETS BIRD NESTED EVEN PROS. so dont beat yourself up.

what else, if... anyone wants to get into it, go to ebay and get a deal. my buddy picked up a shimano citica for 80 dollhairs.

another thing baitcast is generally power fish...wieght. finesse its possible i know that, there are extremely light and expensive setups you can put 8lb floro. is it practical idk. never tried. i stick to spinning for weightless and dropshot and senko etc.

bassassin get a baitcast and start pitching, 7' mh rod and small reel like a curado or chronarch mg. 90yds of 17lb floro trilene 100% up to you. and a 3/16oz jig so you can swim it. i will hook you up. pun intended!

Alright now lets argue brands and line!!

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 am

lol I hear ya J but u gona have to try that Yozuri out I dont like the new colored one it says super soft but it feels more rigid than the Smoke one i have thats just soft , not super soft . Either way it works good for me , sensitive , not very visible , Its ok abbrasion-wise but it just feels right n very strong too . I wana try a new one but I already got box filled with mono Xt Garbo , sorry if ur throwng it , been there done that ,no distance n too much stretch . I wana throw Fluoro on it but tends to disagree with Spinning Gear , hence the Questions bout the B casters ..lol

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm

bassassin,

Try segaur invisx floro 8lb for spinning, comes highly recommend from my boy. he power fishes mostly, but will throw finesse. he was on the fireline game for awhile then made the switch. he just loves floro. trying to argue line with him is like beating a dead horse. about the only thing he will use braid for is frogging.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:08 am

I have been using fireline for 3 or 4 years now and have no issue with it as long as you care fore the line, i Use reel magic and line butter, But then again I ususally fish 20lb test, sonic braid gets good disance as oppsed to fire line, but its strength is less than fire line. I just ordered some seaguar flouro in 10 lb (lightest line I will use without using ultra light gear) I also respooled my carrot stick with power braid pro, cant wait to see how it works...fire line is great and its black too..lol

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 am

glutt, do those line conditioners work with floro? like KVD makes one. Im not totally opposed to braid, i like 832 for frog and jig. heavy cover and chocolate milk. that being said, i do use the 17lb tirlene 100% and it seems to work fine pitching a 3/16oz jig.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 am

ardent line butter works great for heavy braid, with some lines after a while of fishing, the line near the lure-about 2 feet gets beat up, also with mucky water crap gets into your reel..(nothing worse than goose down traveling up the line) the butter helps keep it lubed and flowing, I also feel it penetrates better. The reel magic works good too for spinning gear or braid. I will pass unto you some info on the kvd line, there is no doubt he is a great fisherman...but he is also a smart one, marketing puts his name on crap so people get gassed up and go get it meanwhile its the same generic crap you buy local. I have been duped a few times but no more..lmao...his kvd baitcaster is the same as the quantumn code just diff colors and more expensive(slightly), his line conditioner is pumped on reel magic...sunglasses are xps brand...and his sexy shad crap is just a color scheme with his name on it, any other color would produce the same....im not knocking the guy he has to make money, but I know better. Im not paying a premium for someone endorsment.

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 am

bassassin201

I am just the same Mark , just love fishing too comfortable with Spinning to really give it a chance .

I'll bring one or two with me and you can try it out. I've got both the low profile and the traditional round body.

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 am

Thats helpful glutt. I think KVD is good methodical fisherman. At some u gotta make bank to stay in game and be competitve. His silent cranks suck. Bandit makes nice baits.

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:55 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links