I'm new to it... happy to be in it.... and enjoying my time as a father...

But DAMMIT to all hell has it been interfering with my fishing.

I haven't fished since my son was born... gonna try and get out tonight with Justin... aka Jrhbass.

If I do get out of the house... I'm gonna be one rusty looking fisherman. I wonder if my tacklebox is in good shape? been a while since I laid eyes on her.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am

Congrats on fatherhood Exclamation

You don't have to stop fishing, because you have a son. This is what fishing is all about. Passing on your talent and bonding.

When my son was born it didn't stop me from fishing. My wife and I just took him along and fished the easy access hot spots. I fished and she watched my son on the blanket. We even night fished for catfish.

When he could walk by himself. I took him along and gave him a polie. Go Fish This is when I stopped fishing. I had to bait the hook, cast the line and take the fish off the hook after he reeled it in. He out fished me all the time, because I had very little time to fish for myself. A stringer of trout is a stringer of trout no matter who caught them.

My son still fishes with me but I don't have to bait his hook and such. However my dog "Jetty" likes to fish and I have to bait the hook, cast the line for her. After the line is cast, she jumps up on the boat seat and waits for the rod tip to dip. When this happens she either whines or barks, depending on how much the tip moves.

Good luck and tight lines

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks!

Yea, i can't wait to start bringing him fishing. He's only 2 months now, so a little while longer until I can bring him with me.

I joke with the wife about wearing him on my chest. My wife laughs... but sometimes, I'm dead serious.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Congrats on fatherhood it a beautiful thing u will start fishing again when ever thing calms down. It was the same for me it was our first so it was new but after we settled in. I would go fishing and the wife would go out with her mom or friends and take the baby. I have fish with the chest strap once or twice it a great thing I even cut the grass wearing it with all 3 of my kids. So just be patient and u r going to start fishing again then in a few years u r going to bring your son to so enjoy and congrats again Go Fish

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 pm

if any of you bergen peeps wanna meet up, i'm going to try to head to somewhere on sunday. its supposed to be a decent day. WE NEED THIS RAIN!

FISH ON!

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Heres a photo of my son and I fishing together when he was young. lol

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I remember when mine where born, and how soon I had them out on the water...my son was barley 2 when he caught his first bass on his own...he couldnt lift it out of the water. My daughter caught a 3 lb cat and sunnys by the time she was 3....Now he is 8 and fishing a bait caster...and she is like her mother and hates fishing...lol

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:40 am

My son is 2 and we took him out on the boat for the first time a few weeks ago on Assunpink Lake. He enjoyed it, so its only a matter of time before I put a fishing rod in his hand.

Tommy, they grow really quickly... you'll have him out there with you in no time.

Tight lines!

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 am

Hey Tommy,
I forgot to mention this before. When you do take your son out fishing for the first time. Make sure you post the photos of him and his catch. I bet he'll out fish ya. Enjoy your time with your son. They grow up so FAST!

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 am

Dude welcome to fatherhood. Be patient and when spring comes around, you can bring the stroller ( to some spots ) and give the kid a bottle and cast out while standing next to him. Take him as soon as you can, i just started fishing after 20 years, with my 11 year old last may, I REGRET not taking him earlier and missing out on memories, but now we go almost everyday. I was fishing when i was 2-3 in Oklahoma 1969-1970ish- wow i am old, dam. Good luck and post some photos when you guys go!

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links