Lions lake Voorhees - yesterday 10/15 Cast out half a worm (green and black) rigged wacky style about 40 feet and it was falling and i hooked a nice fish. It was a good fight and i got it about 15 feet away and this fish made such a u-turn, it almost yanked the rod out of my hands, and it unhooked itself. I reeled in the bait and checked it out and the hook was actually bent. outwards and sort of turned towards the left, not to much but noticeable. It didn't feel like a huge fish until the u-turn, so i don't know if it was a weak hook or a monster fish,but i've never had a hook bend on me. I've never felt a pull like that on freshwater....I had a big'un and it got away, I can't stop thinking about it and i can't wait to go back and get that fish.

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm

I enjoyed reading your story, but it should have read that the hook bent because the fish was a monster and not that your hook was weak. I've had a few stories like this and it's always a monster fish. Because I don't buy or use weak hooks, rigs or line, so it has to be a monster fish. Go Fish Keep the stories of your adventures coming Very Happy

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 am

It sucks but it happens to all of us. Just a note to add, anyone who fishes is subject to getting hung up and snagged on stuff, be it at the bottom of the lake or in the trees, anywhere. When we do get stuck we PULL. That pulling weakens or bends the hook & knot and we dont notice until we lose a fish. especially ewg hooks.
Also most tackle shops and companies use the cheapest product in order to sell their product cheap, so MOST tackle is made cheap. Unless you pay for premium tackle, thats specific in some way, be it quality, materials or name brand, very few copmanies have exceptional tackle.
Try trokkar ewg for worms, they are surgical steel, have a three sided tip and have a little more weight than the cheap red eagle claws or no name brands that are peddled at walmart and sporting goods stores. they run about $10 plus tax for 4 at dicks sporting goods

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:13 am

Think we all have a story or two bout the one that got away , well I am here to tell u F#@K her ... I mean U will get that fish next time ...lmao Seriously I jumped in the Lake after a Fish it was so big (Not Recomended ) , I Use Owner Hooks if ur not sure take one out give it a bend feel em out, most hooks are in a plastic envelope u can open n reseal . Hook Benders are the Best cause u actually get ur lure back , and at 5 bucks a pack of 4 Jig heads u wana hold onto as many as poss ..lol Happy Catchin

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links