Anyone else seeing any fish kill ? I have been hitting the banks by me n seen quite a few dead fish , mostly sunnys n crappie also a couple bass (1 hybrid and a 1 smallmouth) .

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 pm

nothing by me the lake is stocked with trout so if there is something wrong if would show fast

Posted Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I have not seen any this year & I have been out early in the season and have been to quite a few big lakes....I have heard & seen ,that because of "sandy" there are pools of water and streams connecting all over the place and fish where there were not fish before.....Idk if that is a good thing or bad.....where I caught my first trout of the year, there were not supposed to be any trout there.

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 am

I' haven't been out yet, but today will be my first day out. I'll let you know if I see any dead fish. Do you know if they started early to chemically treat the water for weed control? This may be the reason or it may be some other chem. leaching into the water. Other than chem. it could be something depleting the oxygen supply in the water.
You want to report it to NJ Fish & Game, so they can investigate before it gets worse.

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 am

Yea , that's crazy Ed .. I have seen this before at the beginning of the season . Some think it's due to the Salt from the winter others think it ws just there time .. I saw a whole pond littered with dead carp one time , atleast 20 big carp that i could see .. I hear ya Jim if I see anymore I am not the type to sit on my hands , but at the same time who knows if they will shut the lake down because of it .. I am going to do some more looking around and hopefully I don't see anymore .

Posted Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

I was in Indiana a few weeks ago and went fishing on a lake that had dead shad all over every bank. Hundreds of them. I was thinking that the water was just too warm for them. There were no other dead fish other than shad. I think they were gizzard shad. The place was pretty stinky!!

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 am

I don't know about Indiana, but in NJ & PA . The shad return from the ocean to spawn and then usual die off.Sort of like salmon do.

See link for life cycle of shad.

http://fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2005/04julaug/play2cycle.pdf

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 pm

I've been fishing for two months now and I have seen no fish kills thus far. Have you contacted fish and game?

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

No , I kept looking for new dead fish and didn't find anymore . Think it was weather change poss salt run off from winter . Salt Brine is brutal

Posted Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links