Just wanted to see what other anglers thought about brand name / pricey lures to Inexpensive/ off Brands .. I happen to think some are js built better n have better action ; tighter wiggle , castabilty or fall rates etc .. But I would appreciate you guys to share your opinion .

Posted Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:02 am

I typed a nice long response with examples and explanations and then it failed to post to the board. Mad

So I'll just say, I will go for cheap stuff for jigs, spinners, soft plastics unless I can't find a certain color. As for hard baits I'll spring for more expensive stuff like Rapala, Excalibur etc because they're performance is consistent and they will look good and last for years. Mind you, everything above is name brand but as we know brands target certain differing price points which effects quality.

I won't by generic "made in China" lures that I see on the Internet. My past experiences have proven them to be crap. This stuff doesn't even get shelf space at big retailers. Local mom and pop bait shops may carry them but I would avoid.

Posted Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:31 am

I consider myself kind of a Universal Lure angler , but I use a lot of name brands that ppl would consider over priced example; Live Target ,Lucky Craft (hard baits) , Keitech ( Japanese brand ) , Senkos ( China?) I found a lot of Rapala stuff is under built n over priced (too light , fragile ) .. I like stuff that can take a beating .. I have found the balsa wood is all good if ur fishing from a boat , but if need depth n distance , Go With Jackall or Lucky Craft , Live Target .. Js personal opinion . Prices are irrelevant if ur buying more than one a season .. A lot of Pricey Lures do have less tendency to get snagged to my own amazement .. Again this my experience with them . Not to mention a lot of the life -likeness goes a long way with finicky fish .. Suspending lures as well u want something that has a life-like presentation sits perfect sideways when paused .. A lot gets lost in marketing , the companies over promote gimmicks and bandwagons like 2013 Champion uses it , so should you .. I don't buy all that .. But sometimes new look , action , and caidence is important in pressured waters .. Sometimes its all meaningless and if ur catching em on a 3$ lure , Bang Em Out till they stop biting it ..( No Offense ) But I think a lot of brands like , Rebel , Bandit , Bomber , Matzuo , Strike king is an exception they have pretty decent lures for less $ , also Lucky Craft (Clunn Series ) are also pretty good for the $ ..But I dare someone to try a lure priced over 10 $ n have some Berkley Nano 10lb test also Pricey but WELL WORTH IT .. I am not a salesman js an Angler js like you guys , I started out with an Ugly Stik n now I have St Croix and G.Loomis cs once u hook a Big Fish n start to question ur rods well being ..lol Its time to think about Backbone with a fast tip .. You will see what I mean . I know the season is almost over , but when ur restocking ur tackle box n Gear .. Look around give the rod a good shake , if it wiggles like wet spaghetti walk away ,(unless ur trouting or it doesn't matter ) otherwise try a lower priced St.Croix or Even Berkley Cherrywood , one of my favs for 19.99$
Keep an open mind to these things as some of you will be surprised in the diff , feel , and hopefully reep the rewards and Catch a Biggin .. This is a not a black and white issue and is strictly my opinion . Let me know what ya think if you have tried these Lures , Lines and Rods .. Also Reels ( Penn , Pflueger ) I'm a spinning tackle guy , can't stand backlash n birds nests especially from the shore where u get few options when the wind comes blowing . Hope more ppl share their insight . Thanks for ur response Sheldon , also I stand by Berkeley Nano for Spinning gear , no less than 10lbs n check it in rocky stick filled areas (it frays ) but you can cast a Mile . Happy Catching To All

Posted Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:39 pm

bassassin201

A lot gets lost in marketing , the companies over promote gimmicks and bandwagons like 2013 Champion uses it , so should you .. I don't buy all that .. But sometimes new look , action , and caidence is important in pressured waters .. Sometimes its all meaningless and if ur catching em on a 3$ lure , Bang Em Out till they stop biting it ..( No Offense )

Read this article http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/color_fishing.html. It's a good schooling about marketing and promo. Don't believe the hype.

Posted Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:19 am

Tried alot of brands...strike king spinnerbaits, some roostertails and a jitterbug work best for me, so i stick with them. The most expensive lures i have, i have gotten off of trees and pulled some up from the water

Posted Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:52 pm

southjerseyangler

LThe most expensive lures i have, i have gotten off of trees and pulled some up from the water

Haha. That's too funny. I got a nice hula popper from a tree a couple days ago. Once the leaves fall it's easier to see what is hanging. Funny story , I was fishing a set of Mt Laurel lakes (which I recently talked to you about) with my uncle. I put a really nice Excallibur Large lipless crank up in a tree. I was pissed because it was maybe the second or third time I casted it ever. And I was shocked that as this was the first time I broke off a snag with braid. Usually enough pulling and jerking will pull through any snag. In fact, I once uprooted a small tree freeing a snag on braid. In any event, I'm at the same lake with my uncle a few weeks later and he hangs up in the same tree. He's able to pull through the snag after delicately playing with the mono on his ultralight. As his snag frees a length of braid from the tree. Bam...it was attached to my crank and I got it back. I had a feeling like I just found a gold nugget on the ground. And this tree ain't no sapling. It's a huge oak tree. What are the chances??

Posted Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Read this article http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/color_fishing.html. It's a good schooling about marketing and promo. Don't believe the hype.[/quote]

Okay , here's where I disagree or have some diff of opinion , first Crystal Clear water , you can see color 50/ft down .. Its clear water not murky .. Secondly , I agree about the part that many lures are designed to catch anglers not fish (true) BUT ,There are many innovative and effective designs and lures that fall in that flashy " packaging " genre .. Don't overlook n don't be afraid to look a lure up .. That's why I like Tackle Warehouse because a lot of the Lures on there have a "Product Video" . That way you can see what it does once its in the water n you're manipulating the lure . I am a bread and butter kinda guy , if it worked then it'll work now or wherever you are .. Mostly this proves to be true , depends on the color tho , shad colors will work anywhere js about .. Same with Greens and black .. So don't get confused I agree , but just keep an open mind . You may be surprised the feel or castabilty of certain other brands .. Weight distribution is key cs its gota fly for me .. Then I look at colors ..( Crankbait wise ) I'm telling you guys ( Spinning Gear only) Berkley Nano 10lb or heavier tho , unless ur alright with losing a few fish , is a must have even at 20 $ -150 yards it will be well worth the money .Don't forget to back it with some 10- 15lb Mono .. I have used all types of lures and found this to be true , the Best Lure is the one you are catching Fish on .. Simply put .. Don't over think it either , sometimes they just ain't biting , don't give up on it cs one bad outing ..

Posted Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 pm

bassassin201

Okay , here's where I disagree or have some diff of opinion , first Crystal Clear water , you can see color 50/ft down .. Its clear water not murky .. Secondly , I agree about the part that many lures are designed to catch anglers not fish (true) BUT ,There are many innovative and effective designs and lures that fall in that flashy " packaging " genre .. Don't overlook n don't be afraid to look a lure up .. That's why I like Tackle Warehouse because a lot of the Lures on there have a "Product Video" . That way you can see what it does once its in the water n you're manipulating the lure . I am a bread and butter kinda guy , if it worked then it'll work now or wherever you are .. Mostly this proves to be true , depends on the color tho , shad colors will work anywhere js about .. Same with Greens and black .. So don't get confused I agree , but just keep an open mind . You may be surprised the feel or castabilty of certain other brands .. Weight distribution is key cs its gota fly for me .. Then I look at colors ..( Crankbait wise ) I'm telling you guys ( Spinning Gear only) Berkley Nano 10lb or heavier tho , unless ur alright with losing a few fish , is a must have even at 20 $ -150 yards it will be well worth the money .Don't forget to back it with some 10- 15lb Mono .. I have used all types of lures and found this to be true , the Best Lure is the one you are catching Fish on .. Simply put .. Don't over think it either , sometimes they just ain't biting , don't give up on it cs one bad outing ..

The point of referring you to the article was not to educate you on color but rather to expand on your statement about marketing hype. The relevant portion of the article dealt with the Tv Angling Shoot. I could careless about what it says about color. There are scientific facts that tell us what and when choice of color is of importance. Thanks for the long reply but I think you missed the point I was attempting to convey.

No to get off topic…but I found this Aussie Lure Maker's video series about color very informative (assuming he's right…only fish truly know to what extent they perceive colors). For the most part, at least for me, bass fishing takes place in 10 ft or less since I don't have a boat, so colors are somewhat more important. I generally stick with natural colors on a sunny day ... The darker the water the heavy natural color I'll go to. Cloudy days I go to either black/blue or chart/white. But I mostly Fish nights so I stick with black/blue for most part
Unless there's a bright moon to light up better colors and metal flecks.

Anyway this series is very interesting http://youtu.be/tpQTh_tnJ6c. Here's part one. [/youtube]

Last edited by ssheldon1 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:55 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links