With very little knowledge, and even less gear, i have had enough of being indoors, so i got some stuff together and hit the ice. Didnt catch any, was not able to get what i thought would have been good bait. I was able to put myself over fish, and really was just looking to try out my new fish finder, which worked perfectly. Also made my own ice rod from an old med action saltwater rod and a dowel, and it came out great, just right amount of back bone, and bend in the tip, Either way, just felt really good to breathe some fresh air for a change.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:53 am

Nice. Even though you didn't catch any I am sure
I was great to get out and give it a go.
I have never ice fished but would love to try
it some time.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:21 am

I have a few times over the years, but always with someone who knew what they were doing. I was happy i was able to find the fish, i really think minnows may have made a difference.....and thats my story and im stickin to it.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 am

Its been a long time since I ice fished too. I used to use minnows on my tip ups and a white grub called a"mousy" on my ice fishing rod. Instead of a fish finder I used a sinker that had a alligator clip, which I clipped onto my tip up line, dropped to bottom, marked depth, pulled up approx. one foot from the bottom then set tip up to fish. I miss the good times ice fishing, but not the cold.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:56 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links