Had to work the 7p to 7a shift tonight, so figured i would leave early and get a few casts in, Ended up with 2 pickerel, 1 perch and i bass, not bad for a hour along the bank. bass was a dink, but 1st pickerel was a decent 13 inch or so. All caught on an ultralight, so was fun.

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 pm

I am strictly a saltwater guy, so please forgive my newbie question.
Pickerel look pretty bad-ass. What is the best way to catch them?

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:04 am

I really don't target them on their own, usually catch them while bass fishing. Caught them yesterday on the old trusty beetlespin, but they will hit just about anything, a favorite for them is a daredevil spoon, or any mepps type spinner. If you do target them, I would use a tough leader, they have some pretty awesome teeth. But they do put up a great fight.

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:02 am

I'vhad good luck using a black #3 Mepps spinner with a bucktail and also floating live minnows, hearing etc.

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:51 pm

one of the most overlooked types of lures during early fishing season. The inline-spinner is a deadly search bait that will catch all sorts of stuff.

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:33 pm

What is the hardest fighting freshwater fish?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:02 am

justsalt

What is the hardest fighting freshwater fish?

In the world?

papuan black bass from Paupa New Guinea

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:19 am

Actually, I meant local in NJ waters.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:21 pm

You probably won't believe this but.... CARP!!!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 pm

mab1212

You probably won't believe this but.... CARP!!!

Cool. Thanks. There is some in the lake down the street from my house. I am going to take my granddaughter.

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:52 am

I agree with "mab", Carp are NJ hardest hitting fish and you will enjoy the fight. Carp are picky eaters and are very sensitive to hook and line movement. Good Luck!

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 am

Hell yea, carp. My wife bought me a real fancy Ultralite for our 1st anniv, took it down the river dunkin worms, all of sudden , pole takes off into the water. Took a bigger rod with a huge spoon and managed to hook the UL, got it back with a 12 lb carp on the hook took 20 mins to get in in on the UL. Wish I had more time to target them too.

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:28 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links