hey everyone i am a fairly seasoned angler and have caught just about every nj fresh and saltwater fish. however i am still a novice at the fine sport of carp fishing. i have caught a few nice carp over the years, but i stumbled upon a bass lake that i have much success on. i happens to have about 35 common carp in it. however the water is extreamly clear and the fish are always on the surface about 15-30ft out. in most cases i would reach for a lighter rod with light line and cast out some corn or bread or even flyfish. however all the fish are well over 15lbs and there is one possibly pushing state record size. any advice?

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Drain the lake or use a bow Smile

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 pm

I have caught many carp that sit on the surface by simply just rolling a small bread ball on a small treble hook. You can keep it at the surface with a bobber or something. This was you can use some heavier tackle.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

Alex is right.

Use a small bobber, just large enough to keep the bait from sinking to the bottom.

Use a small treble hook with a bread ball, corn or homemade carp bait.

You have to figure out how deep the carp are from the surface and place the bait at the same level below the bobber.

You have to place it front in front of their faces. Sometimes they bite and other times nothing.

Good luck! I still prefer the bow.

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:26 pm

My buddy takes hush bass and blue surf stick and a bunker snag and snags em. Not very sporting but it works.

Posted Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:19 am

I still think the bow is better and more fun.

Posted Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:40 am

Try nightfishing... chum the area during the day with an mix of oats and cream of corn... then go out after dark and use sweet corn as a particle bait on a size 4 wide gap hook..... good luck!

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:46 pm

If they are feeding off of the top other than flyfishing try floater fishing. Get some trout pellets or even dog food for that matter and chum out slowly. The fish will gradually move over into your area but be very cautious with your movements as they will spook extremely easy especially in clear water. Usually if you use dog food if you soak it with water slightly you can hook a piece with a small hook (around 1/2 inch in size) and use no weight or a float. The key after catching one is to keep chumming to keep them in the area.

Posted Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm

SERIOUSLY, USE A BOW Very Happy

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

Where you bow fishing at night???
What # do you have your bow tuned to??

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes I usually only go at night, 40lbs does the trick for me on a recurve

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:40 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links