For some reason, winter didn't want to go away and north jersey was super cold during opening weekend. I personally didn't go for that reason and went to delaware!

Some of my fans who live up north jersey told me how tough it was to catch fish during that opening weekend because it was cold. I scratched my head because we all know trout is a cold water species.

So I took myself up north using my trusty marabou jig! I fished at the South Branch Raritan River, where there were a good amount of folks out there. Seeing that the water were moving fast but relatively shallow, i opted for a 1/32 oz version and cast this lure upstream and let it drift in the lower water column. It was a success as i hauled in about a dozen of trout! So did my buddy who gave up using his Rapala for my jigs.

Two things that people should consider is using marabou jigs in cold water and also don't use super active swimming. no need swim anything! just let the current carry it. it will look like i am swimming it a lot, but i was just collecting line since i cast the jig up stream.

Enjoy the video and let me know if you have any questions! good luck next season to my North Jersey fans!

Posted Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links