Not sure if most anglers know , but you can not keep Bass during the Spawn . That is untill June 15 when the state allows u to take Bass at a minimum of 15" . FYI Most of the Bass anglers I know are Catch and Release . It's kinda of the Code of Bass men . Not to mention I have been told by many ppl that Bass is not good eating anyway . Anyway if u decide u want to try a Lmb or Smb atleast take 1 of the smaller fish 15" atleast , the BIG ones are the Breeders , without them around It's gona be tough to catch them in the future . Preserve our Great Fisheries , practice Catch and Release . I guess in the end it's up to us to police ourselves . If u see "BB" (The Bucket Brigade ) aka Russians , Polish , Mexicans . (No offense but it's pretty much a fact at this point) . Feel free to ask what they caught n to see their catch . These guys have no clue nor concern about rules and regulations and they always carry A BIG WHITE BUCKET or COOLER . If they got any Bass during this time of year , call the D.E.C @ (1 -855-OGT-TIPS) 24hr 7days or (518-402-8924) I believe they have a post at Darlington Lake in Mahwah . It's your Water too ... Respect Nature , enjoy fishing .

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 am

Yes they do Adam they Have a sign that says catch and release only and u need a New Jersey state fishing license required. you wouldn't believe the people I have had to argue with last year who was trying to take home the fish. They told me they were going to throw it back and I said I wasn't leaving to i saw them through the bass back. For me freshwater fishing is like a sport I catch bass I just want a picture or 2 with it then I'm releasing it back in the water to get bigger. Fishing like a chess match try to figure out the fish next move.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 am

I agree. These are the scumbags that ruin it for the rest of us who fish by the rules. I have fish & game hot line phone numbers stored in my cell phone. To make it alot easier for NJF&G I also take photos of the SBs with their fish as I congraulate them on their catch. haha I also record their vehicle's make and plate number and if possible take a photo. If you do this, it is an open and shut case for Fish & Game. Evil or Very Mad

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 am

When I used to fish primarily freshwater. I had the "bucket brigades" using seining nets and kept any and everything they caught. It all went into the bucket. I also had them using spear guns in fresh water streams. There was no concern for size or limit.

I also see this in saltwater. They use the seines and put everything into the bucket. They keep crabs that are so small there is no reason to keep them.

Posted Sun May 12, 2013 11:17 am

I grew up fishing. I have a picture of me and my dad fishing when I was eighteen months old. So far the only fish I have kept are a rainbow trout and a couple of landlocked salmon from a New Hampshire. And I never regret throwing a fish back. I always throw my bass back, and one day while fishing a local bass lake I saw a man that is defiantly in the bucket brigade. He had just caught a large bass that he snagged on a bed. It was may first, and he ran to his car to grab his fillet knife, so I walked over there and "accidentally" knocked the bucket with the still alive bass into the water, it swam right back to its bed. The guy got angry with me and started cursing at me in Spanish, and drove away. I enjoyed a day filled with lots of fish (all of which were per spawn). I have tried a small mouth bass that my grandpa caught. It tasted awful. I do keep some saltwater fish, but release the majority of them. I always release stripped bass. Please practice catch and release as much as possible.

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 pm

That is Hilarious CrappieKing . Hell yeah Richie ! I love that u guys had the balls to do something about it . What's wrong is wrong period . I don't care if it's during the Spawn or during the Season , I will say something about keeping the Bass . They are saught after for their Size , Beautiful colors , and Fight most of all . Most ppl would say " Eat a Largemouth Bass , Ur Crazy " . It's not even an option to them . I can understand if u live in a van down by the river n u gota eat , to that I say Do what u gota do . I am glad that we all have agreement upon this I feel more comfortable speeking my piece now when I see these ( Literal) Nest Robbers . The spawn ends in mid June . I tell guys ahead of time now , Don't take any Bass they have parasites , or some kinda virus is in the water , maybe even they just sprayed chemicals to kill Algae fungisitus ...lol no idea if that is even anything , but they sure think it is .. Keep leading by example , some lil kid is gona see you and someday become a young man and hopefully he will share ur same passion and preservation for fishing ..

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 pm

GREAT story crappieking. Laughing

I release almost all of my freshwater fish I catch outside of the trout, which are good eating and we pay for these. I used to get the monsters mounted, but now I just take photos which are just as good.

Basicly if I'm not going to eat the fish it goes back to live another day.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links