When you tie on a circle hook do you snell it directly to the hook or tie a loop knot? I'm just starting to use circle hooks for clammin stripers. Any advice apreciated.

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 pm

you have any luck with the circle i just started tooo and people say they hook themselves a little different than what I am used to

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:52 pm

I've only used them a few times. It's hard to get used to not setting the hook. You have to reel in slowly till you feel the full weight of the fish then you can set it to make sure it gets around any mouth bones or cartilage. Don't set it as hard as you would a J hook, just a couple of good tugs. I use braided line so no stretch. I have had a good ratio of hooks to misses when I can remember not to set the hook immediately. Haven't tried them for stripers yet. This spring will be my first but some of the guys I've talked to swear by them. Think I'm gonna try first with a loop knot. seems like it might work better. Also been told that the fish won't come off as easily once hooked. Good luck and tight lines.

Posted Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:27 pm

I tie all my own hooks, i snell the hook to a 3 ft leader then tie a barrel swivel , use a fish finder and tie the barrel swivel to your main line. put your favorite chunk on the hook and catch fish Smile

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 pm

I tie my own rigs also and normally use wide gap hooks. I think I'm going to try the circle hooks this season.

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Hey Jim , what's the deal with mandatory circle hooks on these Saltwater fishing shows ? Is that a new thing or State to state thing ??

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

I use circle hooks to fish senkos or stick baits, wacky rigged in fresh water, and my hook ups have increased.

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Adam,

I just checked the internet and also called NJF&G.
The only area in NJ that you have to use circle hooks is in the Delaware River, during April 1st to May 31st, when using natrual bait and the hook size must be size 2 or larger. See article below.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife

Circle Hook Reminder for Anglers Fishing the Delaware

The Division of Fish and Wildlife would like to remind anglers fishing with any natural bait in the Delaware River or its tributaries, from the upstream side of the U.S. Route 1 Bridge to and including the Salem River and its tributaries, that they are required to use non-offset circle hooks. This requirement is in effect from April 1 through May 31 and coincides with the spawning season closure for striped bass in the Delaware River.
This restriction applies only to hooks of size two and larger and does not apply to hooks of smaller sizes (such as those normally used for white perch fishing). The use of circle hooks reduces gut-hooking of fish and reduces catch and release mortality, allowing more striped bass to spawn.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 am

Circle hooks is for out of season fishing. Otherwise if you use them you are saying a lot about yourself. Some people can't set the hook so they go to circle hooks. Real fishermen use J hooks and set the hook to the fish and bring there catch in. Others use circle hooks throw it out there and let the hook catch the fish. This is not fishing its crabbing. Sorry about this post but it is the truth. braid line also is cheating you should use the drag play the fish and bring it in. MONO is the way to go.

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 am

Lmfao.. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they are all shitty at one point or another.@elquan

Circle hooks in freshwater are a fad and a technique that, if it helps u catch fish, so be it. That is the point of the sport. Is it not? Who cares what they are used for in saltwater... Not me.
Mono is for people who can't afford braided line or flourio carbon , that's my opinion so are Shakespeare, Zebco,ugly stick brands. They are for the poor.
If you brought a penn reel at Walmart or with a combo anywhere, your a broke ass fisherman.
Anyway your comment "saying a lot about yourself" brings to mind people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Reread your stupid sounding post and keep your opinions to your self.

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 am

I left you a message in your inbox because this is not a war on this site. I'm to old for that but I have read your profile and I will comment on it threw your inbox. just to let you know KOI is a fish that can cost from $20 to $500 dollars a fish so who ever put them in that pond knows the true value of that fish and you did not. But any way Mr. Rich guy inbox me back unless you scared of a little challenge. Have a blessed day

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Judging by your punctuation and misspelled words, there is NO competition. Have a blessed day grandpa

Posted Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

elquan

Circle hooks is for out of season fishing. Otherwise if you use them you are saying a lot about yourself. Some people can't set the hook so they go to circle hooks. Real fishermen use J hooks and set the hook to the fish and bring there catch in. Others use circle hooks throw it out there and let the hook catch the fish. This is not fishing its crabbing. Sorry about this post but it is the truth. braid line also is cheating you should use the drag play the fish and bring it in. MONO is the way to go.

What a load of bull. Circle hooks allow the novice to catch fish with gut hooking them. Of course I've seen a lot j hookers hook perfectly, them step on the fish to take out the j hook, then throw it back half dead from the damage that foot did. Braid line let's some of us fishing from the sod reach fish we couldn't reach with mono. Mono stretches so drag is less important than with braid where there is no stretch, so you'd better have your drag set well or good bye big'un.

Posted Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:51 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links