In the past few years, I have fished countless waters, Used hundreds of lures and caught countless fish. My new obsession is Nicknamed "doodle rigging" Casting over branches either overhanging or submerged and Jiggling your bait at the surface of the water. We have all probably fished at a lake or pond where there is a clear access spot to the water. Then there are spots that you have to hike through thick brush, nettles and mud to get to, some of them you cant even take a decent cast from...that is where "doodle rigging" shines. Doodle rigging can be achieved with a senko, pig and jig, or just about anything weedless...Although I have done it with crank baits and spinners, but its not recommended unless you use heavy line. Usually it prompts a topwater like strike and the weight of the fish unhinges your line and lure. I have had to wade out and unhook a few fish because they did not drop and it was not fun, but the amount of fish I have caught in hard to reach spots has doubled....I am going to try to catch it on film this year...Anybody else ever "doodle rig"

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 pm

hey Ed , is that ur own technique or is that something u saw somewhere ? Reason I ask is I read an article about DoodleSocking a long time ago . Only the way I saw it was a guy using a 10 to 12 ft rod maybe longer n they just hold it as far out as poss n pulling a topwater around .. It was a while ago so bare with me ..lol

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm

I did not invent it nor did name it. A fishing buddy of mine, whom I will not name, nor call a real fisherman put me on to it 4 years ago. I have used it many times and never really gave any thought to it. But yesterday, I was fishing under a low hanging canopy and thick brush and no matter how accurate the cast, I found myself getting more strikes when I was tangled in branches and the lure was bobbed up and down close to the branch, so I continued to cast over things on purpose to illicit strikes. I think I like the sound of doodle rigging as he called it as opposed to doodle socking....Do you remember where you read it?

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 am

Ed, I never knew there was a name for this type of fishing. I have done this while stream fishing for trout and had my line accidently went over a small branch along the bank. Just like you said while trying to free it. The bobbing action attacked a trout and the rest is history. I haven't tried this on purpose because I end up with a tangled mess, but it does work.

Something very simular. When I was fishing in Canada from a boat near shore. I was using two rods. One with a bobber and sucker for bait and the other rod with a Black Mepps #3 with a buck tail. I reeled in my Mepps and laid across the boat with the lure tapping the water along side the boat. I had a pike on the bobber line. After reeling in the pike and casting it back out. My pole laying across the boat almost went over board. the tapping action attacted another pike, which inhaled the Mepps.

The bobber and sucker set up out fished every other set up. All my fishing buddies were making fun of me using a bobber, but after seeing that it kept catching pike they were all asking if I had any more biobbers to share.

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 am

Sometimes I employ a crappie rig with a little heaver rods and line. I use a 13' 3" carp rod with 17 lb fluorocarbon line. I use a wacky rigged stick worm on the surface, so it creates a wake, and attracts bass. It works especially well around overhanging brush, and floating mats.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links