NJ State Record Carp Taken While Bowfishing
May 23, 2014
Photo

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife has confirmed that a carp taken by Adam Faatz of Hawthorne, NJ, while bowfishing is officially a new state record.

Mr. Faatz was targeting carp from his boat at night on Greenwood Lake on May 19, 2014, when after about two hours of fishing, the fish started swimming towards the back of the boat. The carp fought for 10 minutes before being landed.

The 45 lb. 6 oz. carp, was 42" long and had a girth of 32". It broke the old record, taken in the Delaware River by Mark Kronyak in 2008, by 1 lb. 8 oz.

Mr. Faatz is a member of a bowfishing team called the Team Bloody Decks who are currently working with the Wounded Warriors and other local organizations to take severely wounded veterans out bowfishing as part of their rehabilitation process.

The New Jersey State Record Fish Program revolves around a specific list of eligible species, and is based on weight alone (there are no line classes). The program goal is to increase awareness of fishing opportunities for species that are regularly sought after and routinely found in the freshwaters or off the coast of New Jersey.

For details on program, see the Record Fish Program page at www.njfishandwildlife.com/recfish.htm.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 am

I think it is rediculous to include bowfishing in the same catagory as fishing with rod and reel.... Im not saying it doesn't take talent to shot a fish with a bow... but it isnt in the same catagory as rod and reel.... its not fishing in my book.... Monster carp tho... its a shame it couldnt be released to grow and provide another angler with the joy of landing a monster fish... thats another problem I have with bow fishing... everything gets killed... no catch and release...

Posted Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks for sharing for Jim...

@mab I think its ridiculous to have salt water fishing on the same site as fresh water...
As for bow fishing...there is a reel involved...
It takes more skill to skewer and land a Carp with an arrow(not to mention the strength of being young/fit and able to draw 80 lbs & the accuracy to do so), than to cast & cast and cast with no catch, also carp have no issue with being over fished or being eradicated...
Keep in mind both fishing and bow fishing are real sportsman sports.
Everyone has a different approach to how they catch their fish.

In My Humble opinion, carp is a trash fish, that I would not waste time or line, nor have the patience to sit and wait for that bite, but if and when I do( and I have)....I am throwing it in a smoker...they taste like a fish that fed on pork...

Posted Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:55 pm

@glutton.... sorry... I dont consider shooting a fish with a bow fishing... whether they are shooting a carp... bass... or whatever... I beleive fishing with rod and reel takes a different type of skill than does shooting a bow. Catching a bass with a rod and reel or a carp on rod/reel... or any fish with rod/reel it a totally different sport that shooting something with a bow. I have bow hunted so by no means am I saying that there is no skill involved. I bow hunt for deer and use a recurve bow, so I do know and understand the talent involved in hitting a target. There is plenty of skill involved in bow hunting... just like there is a lot of skill involved with fishing with a rod/reel and catching fish. You may have missed my point above.... my point is that I dont beleive shooting a fish ( bass- carp - sunny) with a bow should be compared with catching and landing a fish with rod/reel. Shooting a fish with a bow is NOT catching it.... Carp are one of the strongest fighting freshwater fish there are.... landing a 20 to 30 pound or more carp on rod and reel takes experience and skill.

Posted Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 pm

If I am reading this right, the debate seems to be centered around whether it should be a record coming from a bow. If that's the case , no worries, for carp, there are separate records for angling and for bow. If I am wrong in my assumption, than apologies all around.

Posted Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:41 am

Crewchief: You are correct in your assumption. I called NJF&G and they confirmed that the carp is the new state record, but with bow and arrow and not rod & reel.

That being said, You still have to give the archer credit for bagging the fish from a unsteady platform (Boat); at night; were he had to sight in and shoot the fish. This is not as easy as one would think.

I agree this is not fishing, but still takes skill and does not change the state record for rod & reel.

Lets all get back to fishing! Very Happy

Posted Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 am

jimbuoy

Crewchief: You are correct in your assumption. I called NJF&G and they confirmed that the carp is the new state record, but with bow and arrow and not rod & reel.

That being said, You still have to give the archer credit for bagging the fish from a unsteady platform (Boat); at night; were he had to sight in and shoot the fish. This is not as easy as one would think.

I agree this is not fishing, but still takes skill and does not change the state record for rod & reel.

Lets all get back to fishing! Very Happy

My assumption was that the debate was about the record. Personally i have bowfished before a fewtimes, but it didnt do much for me, but i have no qualms about people doing it. It is legal. And i try not to get into ethical debates on these sites. Just causes problems. Your right....Lets get back to fishing !!!!

Posted Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:50 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links