I'm in the process of replacing my helm and cables and have cleaned the steering tubes out with a gun cleaning brush. Do I use grease inside the steering tube or no grease I keep getting different answers ???

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:53 am

Twitch – When I had my boat which was used in saltwater this is what I used and it worked great. It draws the lubricant into the cable when you turn the wheel. Better penetration. I got it from west marine.

Cable Buddy Kit
Product Overview
Extend the life of steering cables and other gear with Max-Lube lubricant.
Compared to other synthetic and premium oils, synthetic Max-Lube offers superior rust and corrosion protection and greater stability at high and low temperatures (flows at –40° C).
Max-Lube is recommended for all types of boat steering cables, all type of gears (regardless of size, load, or service), fishing reels, guns and bike chains. Max-Lube virtually eliminates wear and corrosion on all metals, ferrous or nonferrous. If you plan on lubricating your steering cables with Max-Lube, consider using it as part of the Lube II Kit (Davis #425) (Model 394447) or as part of the Cable Buddy Kit (Davis #420) (Model 398750), which includes a 3oz. bottle of Max-Lube.

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:04 pm

I know about those nuts and so on but without that do I grease the steering tubes before installing the cables ?? some say to use grease others say not too but use a heavy weight oil like substance that is my question..

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:07 pm

I've found that when I used grease it stayed thick when the boat was used during cold weather, so the steering was stiffer .When I switched over to the kit with the thinner oil, I didn't have the stiff steering and it was easier to add to the cable if required. I even used it on my large boat that had hydraulic steering. If I was to used grease I would use "white lithium grease" This is based on my past experience. Good luck

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 am

Well according to the manufacturer no lubricants of any kind are to be added to either the helm or the cables and so all i did after watching some youtube video's is to put a little amounto f OMC triple guard grease in the tubes before i inserted the cables and we shall see how it goes from there but will probably pick up 2 of those nuts because I have a dual cable system on my Johnson Fastrike 150 hp thank you for your reply

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:22 am

I always had trouble with my cable sticking or locking every year up due the the saltwater environment. so I tried the kit and all my problems went away. Good luck & tight lines.

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:29 am

I only fish fresh water bass boat so now salt around it and very well maintained...Im kinda OCD when it comes to my boat...

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:43 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links