In the past year or so umbrella rigs have exploded on the scene and are being made by many different companies. Some are expensive and others are affordable. The idea was being used for many years in saltwater applications & are now being applied in freshwater. The tandem rig is another technique (I and many others, i am sure have tried) that is making a comeback.
I am all for tying on 2 lures on one line, I am positive it doubles your chances for a strike. But say you do not fish a heavy action rod, how is a med heavy or medium light rod, cast an umbrella rig?. All that aside, here in NJ most farm ponds and small lakes are cluttered with debris, also doubling your chances for a snag and losing a 25 dollar umbrella rig......In the end is it really worth it(in deep water maybe).
Consider that the umbrella rig was banned from use during major tournaments(why? is it an unfair advantage) I think they are made to catch fisherman with their somewhat hefty price tag.
Anyone use them or double up on lures before with success? What are your thoughts?

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm

I share ur skepticism Glutt . Also beside ppl not having the right rod , LINE is key . PPL are using 65 lb braid for these n 50 lb is recommended . I dont think most anglers know how to use these , Underlining can lead to loss of lure , as well as a fish stuck with a umbrella stuck to there face , or faces if u double or have multiple fish .. I for one don't like the idea . It's too much , lets just keep it simple . I dont fish with heavier than 12 lb test . No reason to . Unless u got weeds n Lilly pads , granted . Otherwise ur just taking the fish water skiing ... I bought one , then returned it before trying it ..

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm

I agree with both of you guys. The umbrella rig is for saltwater and not freshwater. Plus 12-15 lbs line is more than enough for freshwater.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Umbrella Rigs seem to work well. I use 65lb braid with 25lb test fluorocarbon leader. These Rigs seem to work well. Need to use a flipping rod though.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links