I got this idea from the recent generic vs name brand lures thread. I want to expand on that thread and open it up to everything including line, rods, reels, tackle, lures etc. Now "big bucks" is a relative term so no dollar amount applies. If you think your spending "big bucks" whether you're definition of "big bucks" is $25 or $2500 then you're spending "big bucks."

I'll start with line and if this thread picks up steam I'll touch on more topics. I'm new a don't know how active the forum is.

Nothing ruins a day fishing worse than an unsolvable line tangle. Especially if your "day" of fishing is only 30 mins or an hour at a local hole. If that's the case, you can walk back to the car. For this reason alone, I always have more than one rig with me. Cheap line in my experience equals wasted time in my experience. Whether it's time lost with tying knots, detangling, walking around to hit a certain spot because the line has poor castability. Also poor lines translates into lost fish and lures.

I'm looking for a strong, castable, thin line with low visibility and little to no memory. I will pay good money for good line because it directly effects each trip to the water. It's like starting your Harley with super old gas. You're going to spend most of the day playing with your carb. I have my opinions on line but we will see if anyone wants to open the discussion.

Let me know what u think....

Posted Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:53 am

Well since I segwayed you to ur topic n in my response to that thread I said Berkley Nano 10lb or heavier its like tinsil with the strength of braided line .. I have tried a lot New Braided lines SpiderWire Invisaline , Power Pro Super Slick , and Berkley Nano 8lb had a few break off so upgraded to 10lb n never had another break off since . Its 19.99 150yds so don't forget to put some 10lb or whatever u like mono as backing to dummy it out so u don't get line slap . But hands down strongest n longest cadtabilty . Like I said watch for frays if ur fishing structure or Rip Rap , lay downs etc,.. Also for a Mono , Seagar Senshi is amazing too , again get a backing to this as well unless you get more than 150yds , its js such low profile it doesn't fill the whole spool . Js keep that in mind or ur gona have line slap which keeps u from casting as long as you could .

Posted Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:59 pm

bassassin201

Well since I segwayed you to ur topic n in my response to that thread I said Berkley Nano 10lb or heavier its like tinsil with the strength of braided line .. I have tried a lot New Braided lines SpiderWire Invisaline , Power Pro Super Slick , and Berkley Nano 8lb had a few break off so upgraded to 10lb n never had another break off since . Its 19.99 150yds so don't forget to put some 10lb or whatever u like mono as backing to dummy it out so u don't get line slap . But hands down strongest n longest cadtabilty . Like I said watch for frays if ur fishing structure or Rip Rap , lay downs etc,.. Also for a Mono , Seagar Senshi is amazing too , again get a backing to this as well unless you get more than 150yds , its js such low profile it doesn't fill the whole spool . Js keep that in mind or ur gona have line slap which keeps u from casting as long as you could .

I always back my lines with super cheap 15 lb mono. As for line, I hate fishing mono but I do keep it on my light setup. Mono has too much stretch and I can't feel my lures. Usually I fish a 20-30 lb braid with flouro leader of varying lengths depending on application. No stretch, strong hook sets, never break off unless line is compromised. I've tried different braids found most to be very rough and loud. But Diawa Samurai is like silk. It's thinner and stronger too. Unlike Power Pro or other brands that offer a slick coated braid that wears off fairly quickly, Samurai is slick and smooth because it just is. No coating. Plus the low vis green has faded a bit over the season but holds its color. Other braids lose coloring the first time you fish them. I think I spent close to 60$ for 300 yd spools. I have 20 and 55 lb. It's also a very limp line which I prefer.

My flouro leaders are Seaguar Invisix 10 or 12 lb. 200 yds will run you $20. It's worth it. I've tried the stren and Berkley brands suffered more line snaps than I can ever recall. I'm talking about the line just snapping under load from casting. Seaguar is super strong and easy to handle.

I haven't lost a fish with that combo ever. I've pulled monster bass out of thick weeds, huge catfish and even striper. No issues. It'll take another season too plus with the mono backing I only use 50-75 yds of braid at a time and between 1 to 20 yards of flouro. The spools last for years. So, although it's a hefty up front payment, it pays for itself over time, lost fish and lost lures.

Thanks for your post. I'll give Senshi a shot. Seaguar makes great stuff. I believe they have a new braid hitting the market as well. Oh and never buy just the leader material just get a spool. The line is the same but prices aren't. Samurai is a tough find so I grab it when I can. I guarantee that the pros wearing Spiderwire shirts have Samurai spooled up. Just listen...no braid noise...that's Samurai.

Posted Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:44 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links