We have been fishing the Rancocas Creek up by Willingboro for a long time. In the spring of the year we can catch a lot of cat fish up to 15lbs. In the middle of July, you can't find any, or they are real small. Where do they go ? Thanks !
Also there are hundreds of clam shells (no meat) on the floats for the dock, where do they come from ?

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 am

I don't know where the cat fish go, but the clam shells are from the birds picking up the fresh water clams and dropping them on the dock or other hard surface to open them. Then they eat the clam meat. Of course this is done without any lemon or cocktail sauce. lol Laughing Go Fish

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am

Most likely deeper water, and during the warmer months prey is in abundance, I would recomend using native prey species as bait rather than conventional catfish baits.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 am

When I was living in the midwest, near where the Missouri River dumps into the Mississippi River and huge cats are frequently caught, the hot summer temps drove the fish to cooler, deeper water.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 am

I use two types of bait for catfish and have good luck with both.
#1 Chicken livers
#2 hot dog chunks soaked in maple syrup.

The hot dogs also work great for carp.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm

This 10.5 lb cat was caught in Aug by the 130 bridge i catch cats all summer in the river and rancocas

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm

This 10.5 lb cat was caught in Aug by the 130 bridge i catch cats all summer in the river and rancocas

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Catfish,
You said that you use chicken livers for stripers. How do you rig them up? The same as you would for catfish??? Question

Posted Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links