I haven't had more misses than I had this weekend which has led me to upgrade my crankbaits to owner size 4 trebs , poss 6 in black chrome . Solid hooks no tweekin these bad boys.. Just got a new one too Damiki DC 100 , let u know how it does ...

Posted Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm

vmc trebs or gamakatsu, the latter being the sharpest hooks out of the package. owner makes great offset hooks love there 7/0 on a 10in worm.

Posted Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 am

Yea got all 3 except the Vmc n Gamkatsu are red n the X strong version . That wud honestly be my only complaint with the 2 1/8 " crankbaits the hooks are too small n really flimsy, we'll see tho .. I bagged a couple the other night on em so they are def better on hook ups ...so far .

Posted Wed May 30, 2012 3:48 pm

get a size 6 hook for the middle and sz 8 for the back.

Posted Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 am

i'm so far out of my league hearing about all of this. lol

I don't spend near as much time as I want to on the water... and hearing about all of the products, ugh...i wish fishing was a full time job for me.

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 am

Yea , U will see soon as u lose a couple fish , U'll start lookin at what u thought was a solid bait or lure , n begin poking holes in its weak points .. ergo the upgrade of the hooks .. U will see , there is alot of room left for improving them ..

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 am

tfayet

i'm so far out of my league hearing about all of this. lol

I don't spend near as much time as I want to on the water... and hearing about all of the products, ugh...i wish fishing was a full time job for me.

When it becomes work, I think it wouldn't be as much fun.

I hear you on feeling like a newb though... I used to sell fishing gear at the Sports Authority part time when I was in college, and while I was really good at giving advice to beginners, I was totally outclassed by the self proclaimed experts. I guess the flip side of the coin is that as a multispecies angler that's hit water all over, I've become a jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am

I Have to agree with u . Honestly just cuz u catch fish doesn't make u a pro . I am pretty much a newb to Angling myself . Fishing doin that since forever . My advice read up , magazines , books ask questions . I can give a good piece of ADVICE to all , GET A GOOD SET OF HOOK REMOVERS/ PLIERS . I know I use mine everytime out . Lifesavers , literally for the fish .

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Just don't waste your time watching fishing shows... all they do is try to sell you on the latest gizmo and make it look effortless. You'll just wind up frustrated when you go to your favorite NJ highly pressured bass spot and none of their shiny whiz bang crap works.

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Are u kidding ..lol I love them fishing shows , n yea they are sell outs but Bill Dance keeps it real . I was watchin that A rig episode n he was so mad he had to advertise this thing he was making fun n downplaying it the whole time . Gotta Love Bill Dance , n I've gone fishin with Bill Dance todayyy.. haha

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

about the pliers... i never go fishing without my leartherman multi tool. life saver indeed.

p.s. i'm a sucker for watching fishing shows. it's irks me seeing them in a place like florida and every cast they're pulling out 4-5 lb bass...saying how small they are. lol

Posted Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Dude, its editing. Same thing with the InFisherman shows up north, they aren't pulling in muskies and walleye one right after the next. Its hours of tape cut and pasted together to look that way.

My parents live in Florida, and you can get skunked there just as easily as here. Granted, the bass do tend to get larger there, but you still have to find them and coax them to bite.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 am

First you must purchase quality hooks.
Freshwater hooks do not last very long when used in saltwater.
Hooks don't remain sharp , so you have to sharpen them.
Hooks don't last forever, so you have to replace them.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:39 am

lazer trokkar hooks are pricey but worth it, Gamakatsu and even eagle claws work just as well. Trokkar makes a 7/0 hook that is insane for big worms or bigs plastics. I try to have 2 sets of pliers on me at all times one around my neck on a lanyard and one in my pocket. As for fishing shows it doesnt take a genius to figure out they dont catch all those fish in one take, and yes they sell you the newest lures and fishing crap but they have to make money somehow. Regardless its information, no matter how bad the show. Bill dance kicks ass, so does north american fisherman. I watch most of them on mute since I cant stand a damn southern accent. Watching jimmy houston is like getting a prostate exam.

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 am

LMAO , Ed .. My sentiments exactly ..lol Yea I cant stand that ish either n Jimmy is all over the place giving fish herpies every chance he gets ..

Posted Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links